Friday, July 20, 2012

New Room

Have you ever stood in the middle of your classroom and said, "I have no idea what to do first?"

That was me this past Tuesday. I'm in a new room teaching a new subject and not sure what to put where. I took a few pictures and would like to share them with my blogging buddies. 



I guess we can call this the front of the room since the Promethean board is located on this wall. I'm thinking of putting Mountain Math on one board and Mountain Language on the other. {Ignore the decorations, I have already taken them down and will be replacing them with a different theme}
The board located furthest to the right was made on the wall. There is no actual board there. At this time, I am taking it down until I can decide what, if anything, should go there.


The bulletin board paper is misleading to the size of a board. It overlaps onto the chalk board. In reality, there is a chalkboard in the middle and a board on either side {same size}. So, the board to the left I'm thinking of placing a calendar and behavior cards. Not sure what to make the board on the right. As I was going through resources I found magnetic word strips. I'm thinking of using them on the chalkboard. Here is how: I'm leaning towards not having a traditional word wall. Instead, I would like to make the word wall geared towards more interesting words to use "instead of" boring words when writing. I found some ideas on Pinterest. See the picture below for an example.

                                                                       Source: julieballew.com via Patti on Pinterest




These bulletin board papers have been taken down as well. They were stapled into the wall.  I could use this wall to hang anchor charts with more interesting words to use in writing instead of the chalkboard. Or, I may use this space for something else. Oh, I do know that my classroom jobs will go on this wall by the door :) 



And here is the last picture. 

Alright, everybody. Am I missing something crucial? Have you seen a post, website, or pin that would help with this dilemma?

Suggestions are welcome and encouraged! :)


8 comments:

  1. Have you been to the educator yet? They have tons of music related bulletin border that would go great with your new blogging theme. You could also put some curtains up on those cubbies on the floor. You can find cheap fabric at Walmart, a tension rod and then sticky tape to make a hem. Check out Denise's they look great! You could also do one bulletin board per subject, and they place the anchor charts you create with the kids around that board. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Headed to Educator this weekend. A board per subject...something to think about.
      Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the "Said" is Dead sign! Do you have an area for announcements, rules, etc?? I really like your room :)

    Teaching and Tech

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never set aside an area for announcements. What type of announcements do you include?

      Patti

      Delete
  3. I LOVE your room! It looks sooo spacious! I hope you get everything sorted out the way you want to! And your blog is adorable! :) Newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually it will all come together. I always panic ;)

      Thanks for following!
      Patti

      Delete
  4. My personal favorite board is my Wall of Fame. I've gotten lots of comments on it, and the students really like having a place to display the work they're most proud of on their terms. I found the idea on Beth Newmingham's site, I think. It's one of the ones I'm definitely keeping next year as I decide myself what to dedicate my boards to. (So I will be trolling this post religiously to see the other comments lol)

    Cindy
    Teach With All the Colors of the Wind

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried that one year, but stopped because I was teaching two sections and keeping up with 68 students was difficult. I may have to bring it back. That's one good thing about the lower grades - smaller classes :)

      I appreciate your feedback!
      Patti

      Delete

Translate This Blog